Teleworker and FM-3

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by BoaterGirlKim, Apr 9, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sorry, Gringa, if you felt I stepped on your toes. In terms of facts, when speaking of the situation you described, I added nothing to what you'd said was your situation, in your previous posts. These subjects are complex, especially when there is a mix of visa and taxation issues, as there often is, or becomes.

I'm happy that you've found a balance of work and living that works for you, as it's not easy, sometimes, given the laws we must navigate to live and work abroad.

When referring to your situation I attempted to make it clear that I was- when I was- otherwise, I was not, not knowing any more about your situation than what you had shared with us. I think you'll notice, if you look again, that in the post in which I spoke of taxes, I made no reference to you, at all, and was speaking generally.

On this thread, I pointed out we were just sharing our thoughts and experiences on these subjects- which you, Rivergirl, and I have done- and, that there were better sources than a forum for legal advice, for those who needed it. However, these subjects are of interest, and worth talking about and exploring, for those who care to.

In referring to those who claim exempt, or partially exempt status on either side of the border when it comes to taxes, I was speaking of no more than what I personally know. Americans who maintain a foreign tax home can claim an exclusion of income which would otherwise be taxable income of up to $93,000, if it's "foreign earned". They must file form 2555 to exclude this income, and assert that they earned this money abroad, not in the U.S., and that they either lived abroad 330 days of any 365, or that they have established a bona fide foreign residence (something I did in 1992, and have not ceased maintaining since that date). The exemption does not apply to social security taxes for the self-employed, just as you suggested, and I made clear that I was referring to income taxes when speaking of the exclusion in my posts.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CancunGringa - Thank you for sharing your situation. I considered explaining more about my own situation with INM but was afraid I would get picked on, or cross-examined, if I did so. I actually typed out a lot of detail and then erased most of it before posting one of my earlier posts here; I've been doing that a lot in the last year.

Threads where someone gets picked on do not help anyone, they just create animosity, and they make other posters nervous about sharing their valuable insights and experiences.

This board has long been a valuable part of my sense of community here, but it is less safe and friendly than it used to be, and that is sad for everyone who reads it and who posts here.

Anyway, bravo to you for sticking your neck out.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    And to you, Rivergirl, for sharing your thoughts, and experiences, and for "sticking you neck out" insofar as you did.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,232 / 14
    Have to say, V, I dont think public analysis/scrutiny of any individuals situation in such sensitive matters as Tax and Immigration is something that is going to exactly encourage members to keep on posting in the full and candid manner they currently do (did?).

I'm fairly familiar with Gringa's business as in some respects it's quite similar to my own (although there are some differences) and there's nothing Gringa has mentioned that didn't reflect my current understanding of the situation.

I think it's best we leave other peoples business to the people whose business it is.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Agreed, Steve, these are potentially personal and sensitive matters and no one has said more than they wanted to about their own situation, so far as I know. Whatever they wanted to keep private, they've kept private, I would think, just as I have, knowing this is a forum which can be read by anybody. If some of what I talked about, generally, raised some anxieties in some people, it was not intended, and was meant to be informative to the wider audience. Again, sorry if I stepped on any toes in the process.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's not an accurate recounting of what's happened. I already stated that I would have posted far more detail about my situation had I not be fearful of being picked on or cross-examined for it. Let's not pretend that everything is copacetic.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Rivergirl, what I've written here has been serious, restrained and reasoned.

Those topics which have been discussed on this thread are things I've taken seriously, and studied seriously: in each case, they are within my personal experience, as well, such as the tax issues and visa issues mentioned, here, with those of particular application in Mexico having been of interest to me ever since I began thinking of living here, and the others of interest to me my entire adult life.

I know of no reason I should not share my thoughts on these subjects as freely as the next person.

I don't know you well enough to know anything about you that I would expect you to be uncomfortable to talk about on this forum, though there may be some, as with anyone. Feel free to avoid mentioning those if you fear having someone comment on them.

I'm sorry if things are not copacetic with you.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V - In my view what you've written here has been a mixture of obfuscation, veiled attacks and nitpicking.

I would gladly have written in greater detail about my situation had I not feared that you would treat me as you have treated CancunGringa. It's not that I have anything to hide, it's that I simply didn't want to have to defend myself against your prosecutorial style.

You have an impressive ability to make people feel defensive while pretending that you mean them no harm. This board was once a safe place for people to share their knowledge and insights about living here. But it's become a place where many of us feel we need to watch what we say and where we must always be ready to defend ourselves.

My sincere apologies to the original poster for the uncomfortable deterioration of this thread, if she has any more questions for me I will gladly answer PMs. And I apologize to anyone else I may have made uncomfortable.

9. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do have to agree with RG on one thing...this forum used to be fun. And I am NOT speaking about V when it comes to me feeling belittled with lots of things I have written. I have felt attacked and mocked on some posts, and it seems to happen around these parts to others as well by a few of the "more knowledgeable ones". Can we take this back to the basics??? If someone posts a question, an update, or news worthy item, can we PLEASE refrain from attacks, prosecution, person judgments and low blows? Let's take it back to the saying, "If you have nothing nice to say.....". Maybe then all those people who are registered but are "afraid" to come on here for all those fears I mentioned, maybe they might actually post and have some great insight for all of us.

OK....I am done. Carry on!

10. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Geez, after what RG (I think) posted, I'll have to make this hypothetical.

Hypothetically, it is very easy to get a rentista FM3 and work as a hypothetical MT. Hypothetically the money goes into the hypothetical bank account that is used to prove rentista status for the yearly prorroga.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Get rentista, setup direct deposit with your MTSO (or are you the MTSO?) and enjoy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice