Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ToriB, Mar 27, 2010.

1. haggis & neeps

haggis & neeps Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    having never been to cancun yet!!! I do not know how fast/slow the systems are over there but! I have an ipod touch and I use it all over europe without any problem and it is amazingly fast depends on the network that is available. any mcdonalds even the riu cancun has wifi in its lobby also Cafe Espresso in Plaza Kukulkan. it great for me keeping up with all my football results and emails when im away. I would imagine many hotels in the hotel zone have wifi available. I am very confident that I will be able to use mine so it is coming over with me.I do not know if there is a subway eaterie but that is another that has wifi and the password for the day is normally on your receipt. another thing I find it handy for is when my home network is of instead of waiting on it starting up I just use the ipod. I often download 3-4 movies and then on coachtrips or flights it takes up a bit of the time although on some long haul trips they have these pastimes nowadays. even if you are visiting friends you can keep up with your emails etc by logging on using their set up.
    enjoy.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you're a Prodigy Infinitum client you get free wifi in ton of locations around Cancun, not just the airport. I think it's more than 50 locations...there's a list of locations on their site.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori, you are only really limited by the quality of the WIFI signal.. Bad or weak signal, forget it. Strong signal, good to go.

Then the network you tap into will either be Open Access or Secured. You will know per what Mix said. Open is immediate. If secure you will need the user code and password. At Starbucks, for example, it is printed on the bottom of your receipt. They change these every 2-3 months throughout all of Mexico, same in all areas. At the airport for example, if you don't have your own Prodigy account, you can use the ones you got the week before at Starbucks.

Pretty simple really.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So basically, if I go to Starbucks weekly, which I do, I get a password that I can use wherever there is a Prodigy signal. Sounds alot easier then signing up for my own account that I need to pay for. Am I on the right track?
    Why does this have to be so confusing for me!!!

6. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an 16GB Ipod Touch & the possibilities are almost infinite of things to do with it, Yes most of the most useful apps require Internet & after i started using it i became more aware of available hot spots & on several occasions i have forgot my cellphone or ran out of battery & used my Ipod to place calls threw Skype. (Depends which model you buy if the headphones with the integrated mic & control come included, purchased separately cost 500 pesos).

I currently use the ipod to listen music, watch videos, play Games, Portable Hard drive, Skype Phone, Browsing Internet, facebook & Messenger, Remote Control for my Computer (Media Player, Shutdown, wireless mouse). & Helps me keep track on Football News & Scores. & i also use it as a agenda.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And you're doing a pretty good job of confusing me. You are posting to this forum. That means you are using some kind of internet connection. Here in Cancun, the odds are it's either Cablemas or Prodigy Infinitum. If you have a Prodigy account, the same login and password you use at home are good on almost any Prodigy signal you're going to encounter.

If the vendor requires a custom entry or if you're using Cablemas as your service provider, there are still uncounted ways of connecting to a WiFi hotspot in Cancun for free, or at worst for the cost of a cup of coffee (if you don't want to go dumpster diving for a discarded receipt :icon_biggrin:).

8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Honestly, I am not sure how I am confusing you. I do have a computer here through Cablemas...but why would I want to use my mobile ipod touch just in my home? That is the point of me asking about wifi around Cancun. I hit on the Prodigy subject, and that is also why I asked about going to Starbucks and getting a password that I can use around town. Sorry if I am a scatter brain. This is all new to me.

But thanks all for your replys. Helped tons.

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Confusion: You didn't mention your connection was Cablemas until your last post. So the odds were 50/50 as to your accounts.

As to why you need to be connected at home: Updates, downloads and system maintenance of your iPod are conducted through a high-speed connection to Apple.com and the Apple Store, so you'll need to configure a home connection through the tether to your computer, but that process is almost automatic when you first open the box.

In any case, besides it music capabilities, the WiFi component will enable a whole new catagory of computing for you. Good luck and enjoy.

10. TomT

TomT Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Tori,

The iPod touch is incredibly easy to use; just like any Mac. It will automatically sniff out all the nearby wifi areas, and will show you a padlock icon to let you know which wifi networks are secure (meaning they need passwords) and which are not (meaning you can just hop on). If there is more than one network available, you pick the one that you want to use.

So yes, once you're at Starbucks and get the password, you would type it in once you are prompted. Then you're good to go, and all apps will work. Get email, make skype phone calls, read news, play games, etc.

There are literally thousands of apps. Some require a wifi connection to work (like facebook, email, skype, web browsing with Safari) and others do not (games, photos, certain utilities). And for some, you need only an occasional wifi connection, like for downloading books to the Kindle app (which is free), or to get things like updates for currency exchange apps. You can read a book using the Kindle app without a wifi connection, but you need to download the book once you buy it, and that does require a connection.

You can buy apps (although many are free) via your computer and iTunes, and then plug your iPod in to download them. You can also buy apps via your iPod Touch, but for that you would need to be connected to a wifi spot.

I hear rumors that Apple is making an iPhone for Verizon, and I'll probably get that once it happens, but for now, the iPod Touch is my favorite gadget.

Hope this helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice