Passing A Healthcare Bill At All Costs

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Michael F., Mar 16, 2010.

1. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'd point out that, while the Anti-Smoking lobby would have you believe that smokers are a burden on the Health Care System,. In fact, numerous studies in a variety of countries have shown the opposite.

Smokers often tend to die early and quickly. Strokes can be very expensive but are also related to high fat diets, genetics, etc.

On the other hand, the healthy lifestyle people hang on forever, getting hip replacements, knee surgeries, cataract removals, countless doctor visits and prescription drugs to keep them going.

2. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    Thats definatley not true in the UK. If someone chooses to smoke something they know is going to make them ill, why should I pay for their treatment? Let them dieif they are dull enough to smoke. With regards to lifestyle choices, here you have to take out insurance to do most sports so they aren't a burden.
    It's not the goverment dictating how you live your life. it's the goverment saying others aren't going to pay for your choices. It's about time all goverments started looking after those that choose to look after themseleves and not those that can't be arsed.

3. Brewster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK...but if we live long enough I'm not paying for your joint replacements cause you weight lift....lol

4. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    I see where your coming from but also remember, as a worker living longer I would have also contributed more into the system. Technically all the years I've kept myself in shape and required no treatment at all while still paying my national insurance contibutions surely allows me my treatment in later life. I would have paid in a dam site more that a joint replacement would cost lol

5. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Isn't it really ironic that the more we talk about this, we all seem to be coming back to the same point.....accountability. If you do something that may not be good for you, then you must be accountable for your actions. I don't mind paying for those who can't help themselves, but it sure does tick me off that I have to pay for those who WON'T help themselves.

6. Brewster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How does it work over there, anyway? Does Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland all have their own administered health plans or is it just one big British one?

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Going back to smoking though, smokers live shorter lives and every packet of smokes they buy a huge percentage is tax which goes into 'the system'.

As far as I recall cigs are well over £5 a pack ($7.50 USD). I'd bet at least 80% of that is tax - so a smoker who smokes one pack a day is contributing around £1500 a year in extra taxes- say they smoke for 40 years that's £60,000 at todays money. Most people retire i.e. stop contributing to the system at age 60 -65. Most smokers are still alive at this age and have also put in a full terms contributions.

But because smokers generally die earlier than non smokers they dont take so much out of the system in the way of a pension and allowances as you will, when you live into your 80's or 90's :)

8. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    It's complicated. Basically yes, they are all similar in that everyone pays National Insurance out of their salary - well apart from those that dont earn a salary and live on benefits.

But each country's healthcare is independent to that country and each country is responsible for it's own healthcare decisions and spending, but to different levels. England and Scotland have a Government, Wales has an Assembly and Northern Ireland an Executive.

Ireland is a separate country and not part of Great Britain.

9. Brewster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Another good point, Steve. Cigarette costs vary between provinces in Canada. The average cost is $12.00 (11.72 US), of which over 80% goes to taxes.

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Wow! here in Mexico it's 30 pesos a pack, about $2.40 USD or £1.50. There's not much financial incentive to quit. I wish there was, maybe I could give up easier.

Am on a course of Champix (quit smoking drug) at the moment and aiming to quit in the next few days. Back home in the UK I'd have got a 3 month course of Champix for free, here it costs me 800 pesos ($64 USD / £40) every 2 weeks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice