Gun Control???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by B & B, Mar 23, 2010.

1. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0

I don't own a gun and probably never will but this statement makes total sense to me andit sound totally normal. The history and culture behind this is awesome

2. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    DMAC, I have absolutely no issues with any of the statements you have made in this post or in previous posts back in the TTR forum. I wouldn't force my beliefs on you and I don't believe that was the intent of my original post. My father had about a dozen guns around the house, they have since been given up, he had a Smith and Wesson 44-40, manufactured in 1885 and family lore states it was used by the mounties in the Riel Rebellion, passed on to my grandfather and we have since donated it to the RCMP museum in Regina Saskatchewan. My issue isn't at all with you owning the guns and keeping them through generations.

I can't for the life of me fathom why anyone needs a semi-automatic gun, or needs 15000 rounds of ammunition stored in their house, this isn't a personal attack on those that have it, merely a statement that I can't comprehend why it's required.

The other statement that it is a "God given right", smacks of fanaticsm, not the religious conotation that you used above in your post, but someone's genuine belief that God from above has annointed that they can actually carry a gun, he has come down from heaven or wherever he resides took a pen to paper and said "this is your right".

3. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    How shall I respond to this.

Would it be appropriate to make a personal attack to defend myself from a potty mouth.

Shall I defend myself from the "trolling" remark, shall I waste the effort pointing out my join date versus his, my number of posts versus his.

Shall I respond to the body of the post. AK-47's at a range, I am probably naive in this manner. I would think that with an AK-47 you just need to point it in the general direction and have success.

Maybe I'll just leave it alone..

4. Masada

Masada Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

When people refer to their god given right it's not as literal as you're putting it. Their is a thing called unalienable rights one of which is the right to protect yourself/your family and yes this is a god given right.

5. jmg944t

jmg944t Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    B+B,
    I have alot of bullets because there is some legislation out there that is going to start taxing bullets specifically, at a rate of maybe $1 per bullet. It will be a defacto gun ban, take away the bullets and... For my situation you can think about it like this, if you knew the price of gas was going to sky rocket next week what would you do? You'd fill up now, thats what.

6. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Somebody mentioned body armour a while back.

The city of Calgary, where I live, just passed a law banning the wearing of body armour. The idea being that it's only the gangs that are wearing it but it does have a lot of hockey players worried....

7. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm joining in here late in the day and instead of commenting on everything that I missed *L*.. I thought I'd pick the one I thought was the most interesting comment.

Over the last 50 years the moral compass that we set in our society has worsened. I'm talking about Canada as well as the US. I believe those in the UK would agree too. The lack of respect for authority, parents, teachers, each other, etc.

In the 80's when I was a teen a weird look wouldn't cause a fight but now it could cause a shooting.

Who's to blame? Movies, video games? music? How about parents? We seem more and more likely to blame our crappy kids on the rest of the world instead of taking responsibility.

Tom Sellick may have been partially right but that doesn't stop the fact that easy access to those guns allowed those kids to shoot up a school.

Someone else said what I was trying to say yesterday:

You may think that guns don't kill people, people kill people.... but guns make it a hell of a lot easier.

8. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

My take on owning these firearms:

The particular items hold an historic significance. I'm not familiar with the Romania one but the AK47 is, I believe Russia's answer to the American M-16? It has been utilized in countless global conflicts, past and present.

An avid firearms collector would no doubt value it in his collection. And you would want a decent size supply of ammo for it. Who knows when that will become unavailable? And not having ammo for it would be like having the gun without the trigger.

You could liken owning one to a collector of bayonets having a Soviet bayonet in his collection. He's not about to go around using it for it's intended purpose. But it is a prized piece in his collection.

Some may not share Masada's enthusiasm in his particular choice in what to collect but that doesn't make it wrong for him to enjoy it.

10. jeff & deb

jeff & deb I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    I think the one thing we all can really agree on.....Is we really enjoy Temptations, and this Site.
    We may not agree with each others points of view, politics, opinions etc.
    Regardless if you are from the South, North or over the pond, how lucky are we that we can have a difference of opinions and be allowed to express them.
    Cheers everyone, I have enjoyed reading everyones thoughts.:bunny:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice