Gun Control???

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by B & B, Mar 23, 2010.

1. B & B

B & B Guru Registered Member

The Hub of the Niagara Pennisula, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    OK, this picture came from another post in TTR (Losers and their Cameras).

If this was the situation you faced, what would you do?

[​IMG]

I know what I would do here, damn straight, the same thing as anybody else reading this.
    Take the gun to the ba$tard. However killing the ba$stard immediately would be too good for this guy. I am going to kill him slowly, shoot him in the kneecaps, shoot him in the guts and let him bleed to death, bamboo shoots under the finger nails, stake him to an anthill and pour honey on him, he is going to beg me to shoot him, $on of a bitch...but...

That is my emotions talking, that picture sure stirs up a lot of emotions, gun control be damned, this situation ocurrs there isn't nothing going to stop me.

But let's step away from my emotions for a minute. This picture is nothing more than a wind up. Practically speaking, without the emotion, what are the chances of this actually happening. What are the chances that my daughter will be next to a rapist, and the rapist is about to committ this atrocious act, while the cops are across town, but, while I am right there in a position to do something. (Also why does the rapist have to have AIDS, that adds to the emotion). As far as I am concerned, the chances of this actually happen fall somewhere between slim and nil. I know your pushback is going to be "any chance is too much of a chance"!!! Regardless, my view is not going to change.

Gun Control for my friends in the States is a right (not a GOD GIVEN RIGHT, as that borders on religious fanaticism), but it is a contstitutional right given to people by their forefathers. (Actually as Ian has said, the right has been given to the militia, not the public a large, but I digress).

I am not going to suggest taking away your right to bear arms, I understand from reading all the posts that that right is something you will all cling to come hell or high water. (One poster has even said he has over 15000 rounds of ammuntion, shooting 25 rounds at target practice once a week gives him a 10 year supply of ammo).

However, gun control in Canada works, and it works really well, In Toronto, a city that only has 3 American cities bigger (New York, LA and Chaicago and is tied with Miami Dade county and Houston), there was about 70 gun related homicides last year, and if you take away gang members killing gang members (all using illegal guns) the number is down to about 20 (acts of passion usually).

So Gun Control does work here in Canada, I would not expect it to work right away in the United States, perhaps after 3-4 generations (50-75 years), but intially it would not work.

I respect all of your opinions, I read Dales opinion, I respect him for that, he practices, he has taught safety to his family and he has never murdered anyone else, that is great, I applaud you.

How easy is it to get a gun, what about the mentally unstable person that for all physical appearances is normal, can he get a gun. The guy that did the Virginia tech massacre purchased his guns three weeks before the event took place.

So gun control works for us, we don't want to change it, for you it won't work, it will ever work and I won't try to change that.

Thank you

I stand before you ready to be taken apart:icon_confused:

2. us2933

us2933 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0
    B&B, that is an excellent statement you've written both for and against gun control. You will see my comments of the thread you mentioned and I to stand by them although I can see why an American is reluctant to give up what they feel is their right to bare arms. What bothered me was when someone said it was given to them by the creator which is the biggest load crap I've ever heard.
    At the end of the day it will take generations to make an impact like you said but it would be worth while. I do feel sorry for the millions and millions of responsible gun owners in the US but the few have spoilt it for the rest of you. With all the stories of peopel going into schools and shopping malls and killing each other people really do think it's a gun crazy society which it probably isn't.

3. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nicely said Bob.

I'd suggest to everyone that we keep it nice in here. For some reason this topic as well as religion, politics and health care get really personal.

To go along with Bob's comments I'd ask this...

Why does anyone need more than a pistol (for target shooting) or a semi-automatic rifle (for hunting). There is no reason why the public should be able to have assault rifles, machine guns, sub machine guns, machine pistols, or anything that fires a lot of bullets in a short amount of time.

4. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. jmg944t

jmg944t Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You rang? Before the people on that poster killed millions of their countrymen they disarmed them. I posted a video on the "loosers" thread that goes into it. That poster exists because there is a history of a tyrants getting into power during times of economic hardship and doing pretty messed up things. Hitler was voted in, most people assume that isn't how it happened.

6. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    I'm confused.. do you all north of the border think we all have arsenals in our houses?

Yeah there are gun owners out there, but the vast majority of homes in the US have no guns in them.

And again I’m confused by the statements that xyz works for me so why don’t you do it too? I smoked for 34 years and it worked for me but I never asked a non-smoker to take up smoking cause I liked it.

The right to bear arms came from the need to protect ourselves in our new country from the King’s Army that could just walk into anyone’s home and take it over on a whim. So we formed a country where that couldn’t happen, or at least shouldn’t, nothing is absolute. We broke away from the Crown and formed this thing called democracy. You know, what you all did years later cause you liked what we had.

But you followed, rather than lead so you got to see where things might not have happened the best and choose not to do them in your version. I’ll admit that at the Olympics when the poet, I think he was, got up and described all that Canada was, I was jealous that I couldn’t say the same about my country. Yeah, we’re not the sweet loveable kids next door that everyone wants to party with. We’re more the Chuck Norris type that everyone looks to when some bad dudes start causing trouble. But when no one is causing trouble folks always say.. hey, you should change.

Well we might. And we might not. And if we change I won’t promise you’ll like the new us either. But if we change it will be because we wanted to change. Have you ever succeeded if getting your older sibling to change by nagging them?

Yeah, I know the US does the same thing in other countries and for the most part, I’m not happy about that. The exception is when the government is killing its people. Then I think it’s OK to say ‘What’s up with that?’ But I’d rather we mind our own business too.

So I guess what I’m saying is it’s OK to ask questions to understand another culture, just as long as those questions are leading with the attitude that why are you doing that stupid thing?

Jamie

7. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What they did isn't gun control.. it's an all out gun ban. Gun control doesn't take away all of your guns.. it sets limits on how many you can have, what types you can have, how much ammo you can store, etc.

Canada has gun control.. are you saying that we're like Hitler's Germany?

8. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5

Here gun control says if guns were illegal then only criminals would have guns. So what they are looking to do here is not the same as you have. So you can see why people might not like it too much.

Jamie

9. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jamie,

honestly I am normally the biggest defender of the US. I admire and am jealous of the patriotism that is constantly shown by the people to the South of us and wish some of that would come up here.

I know the speech you talked about and love it. The Olympics was a rare showing of the patriotism that I wish Canadian's showed all the time.

As for defending your country... yes I can see why, when separating from England you would need to arm your citizens... there was no standing army and those citizens were formed into organized militias back then.

In 2010 you have the strongest armed force in the world and invasion is virtually impossible. So why the need now? Threat of government oppression? not likely in this day and age. The days of soldiers following blindly are over. Protection from criminals? I think Bob's comments worked well.

10. 4biddenpleasrs

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here criminals have guns too. But they don't have that many. The automatic weapons are more rare.

Remove the supply and you remove the guns from criminal's hands. What I really see holding up change is money.... gun control = less guns = less money for gun manufactures. They're the ones that create the myths that guns don't kill people.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice