What do I need FMT, FM 2, FM 3 ????????????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Caribbean_Expat, Jul 27, 2008.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dan - I think your plan is wise, not sure about how easy it will be for you to get there tho.

There are limits to how long you can be outside of Mexico if you hold an FM2. I don't have time to look it up right now (I'm pretty sure I posted it somewhere on CancunCare before), but it's along the lines of no more than 2 or 3 months a year OUT of Mexico. So it will be hard for you to hold an FM2 while you aren't actually living in Mexico.

If you only ever entered and left Mexico via land crossings you might be able to hide some of your exits and thereby make it look like you are in Mexico more that you really are. But this is risky and probably not worth the hassle and expense. And you'd have to keep really good track of the lie you are nurturing.

Holding an FM3 is more flexible, I don't think there is a limit to how long you can be outside the country.

In Cancun, right now, you can't get an FM2 without holding an FM3 first. This is not true all over Mexico, it has to do with how the agents here interpret the law.

If the same rule applies in Chetumal then you might be wise to get an FM3 and time it so that you've held it for 5 years BEFORE you move here permanently. That way when you move here you will qualify for the FM2.

But if you can find an IMN office that will allow you to go straight to an FM2 then you may not want it yet.

Once you've held your FM2 for two years (since you are married to a Mexican) you can apply for citizenship. So in theory if you retire here and get an FM2 immediately you could be a Mexican citizen within just a few years.

If I were you I would get an FM3 about 5 years before you plan to retire here, get an FM2 when you retire here and apply for citizenship after 2 years here.

2. Dan-0

Dan-0 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rivergirl, thanks so much for the feedback. I was just hoping not to have to wait two years after moving to Mexico to get my citizenship. Mainly because I want to have the option of enrolling in IMSS as soon as possible. I really don't want to lie, I just wasn't aware that they tracked a person's entries and exits from Mexico so closely. I have held an FM3 before, but it was for a short-term job I had and it expired years ago. I'm going to take your advice and head to the Consulate in Atlanta in a couple of weeks and apply for an FM3. They're much easier to work with than the officials in Chetumal. I got both my FM3 and my daughter's Mexican citizenship over there in one day. Thanks again!

3. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Interesting reading, thanks CancunMole.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've seen the new design of the FMT replacement. It's a very poorly designed form unfortunately. I found mistakes in the English and in the Spanish, and many of the fields are too small for a normal person to actually use. I'm hoping that the version I saw will be revised, but I don't have a lot of hope that it will.

6. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it easy to complete the paperwork for and FM3 or FM2 by yourself or is it neccessary (or wiser) to have a lawyer do it for you? If a lawyer is involved, does anyone know what an estimated cost would be?

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    V. Rentista

Here's a description of the process for one of the more popular visa types: if you feel up to it, you can do it yourself, as many do.

FM3, VISITANTE RENTISTA

If you are interested in living in Mexico, and wish to have official permission to do so, one of the ways to do this is with an FM3 Visitante Rentista. Rentista means wealthy, but in practice that just means you have financial resources sufficient to live in Mexico, without working, for a period of one year.

The resources required may be in the form of an income stream from abroad, or cash in the bank from which you can draw; and, if based on an income stream, then the equivalent of $13,250 pesos per month. If based on money in the bank, there is no clear guidance on this in the law, but a sum the equivalent of 15 times $13,250 pesos should suffice, as it would be more than the total of 12 months of the required income stream. (The law also states that you only need half these sums, if you own your own residence, in Mexico.) If relying on money on deposit in the bank, more is better, up to a point, so no doubt is left about your ability to support yourself for one year.

The amounts mentioned above are for one person; but, a married couple, applying together, may not need the equivalent of 2X the above sums, but should have significantly more than that required for one.

If you intend to rely on an income stream, then it must be reflected as a regular deposit to your bank account in your monthly statements.

As with anything, knowing what you'll need, and preparing ahead of time may make the difference between success and failure. Now, as to what you'll need to have, in order to apply.

a) the original, and a copy, of the application, itself;
    b) your passport, and a copy of each and every page of it, whether blank, or not;
    c) the original, and a copy of the document given you when you entered Mexico: for many of you this will be an FMT;
    d) a letter in Spanish, signed by yourself and addressed to the National Institute of Migration, in which you request a change of your status in the country to that of non-immigrant, Visitante Rentista, to live in Mexico at your own expense, relying on resources from outside the country;
    e) the last three monthly statements (originals) from a bank account standing in your name, which either reflect the required income stream, or the balance on deposit, if you're relying on a sum on deposit, rather than an income stream (you will have brought these bank statements with you when you entered Mexico, so you are ready to begin this process), and a copy of each statement;
    f) official translations of the three bank statements (easily obtained in Cancun, after you arrive), and copy of each translation;
    g) proof that you've paid the initial fee required of you with the application, consisting of the receipt you will be given when you pay the required fee at any bank in Mexico, and three copies of same;
    h) proof of your actual residence in Mexico, which can be a paid utility bill, bearing your actual address, for a utility service which is billed in your name; or, if the utility account is in the name of another, then, in addition to the bill and a copy of it- a letter from that person, 1) signed under a declaration they are telling the truth; which 2) shows the address of the property; and, 3) names you as living there, with 4) the date on which you began living there- together with a copy of their personal identification; and, a copy of each and every one of these.

These documents, submitted to the Immigration Offices, are sufficient to start the process of review. In Cancun, you may be told to come back in one week, at which time you will be told if your application has been approved. If approved, you will be given a date and time to return, and a new set of instructions to follow. You will be asked to pay an additional sum at a bank; and to have photos made of you which follow certain guidelines, both front and side views.

There will be additional visits to be made before the process is complete, but if you've gotten this far, the rest should be easy.

For additional information on variations on this visa type, you could see, as well-

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13653-navigating-immigration-cancun.html

In this thread, and the one mentioned, just above, you'll find recommendations and contact information for the lawyer many of the posters rely on for help with immigration, Mauricio Mendoza.

Should you start a business, such as you've mentioned on other threads, you immigration status, and permission to work could then be in connection with the business you've established. For more details on that, you could visit-

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/liv...01-another-question-about-working-cancun.html

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Interesting point, whether there are more foreigners here, with permission to work, than here merely with permission to live, relying on financial self-sufficiency. I suppose the reality is I don't know too many who both need, and have, official permission to work, aside from those who operate their own businesses.

You may very well have contact with more people who hold jobs, though I think it's a fairly frequent occurrence for people to work here without official permission (but, I don't want to go too far out on that limb, it being a mere impression: with your observation in mind, I amend my post, above, to read, "...one of the more popular visas...."!).

The FM3 Visitante Rentista is neither age based, nor "retirement" based, making it a popular option for many who want to live in Mexico, with official permission: the majority of those I personally know who hold this status are neither retired, nor of retirement age.

As for discussions of other visas types, there's lots of that on this thread, as well as on the thread, below-

http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13653-navigating-immigration-cancun.html

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are married to a Mexican, and the legal basis for your living here is that marriage then your immigration status will start as "Familiar." I have an FM2 with Inmigrante - Familiar status. I think Steve has the same.

When I had an FM3 it was the same, it was no-inmigrante (because FM3 is always no-inmigrante) - Familiar.

I think Rentista status is common. But Familiar status is probably more common. And I don't know what your status is when your employer sponsors your immigration but that status is always very common.

Note that if you are Familiar status you are automatically granted the right to work. You simply need to inform INM of your activity. The law says that spouses of Mexicans are automatically given the right to work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice