Where do all of the locals eat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 1, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    "Dive"? What did I miss? (Maybe I lived in China too long, after all.)

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got to agree with V on this one. While it's not a fancy place it's very far from being a "dive" - in fact the lady wants to go where the "locals go" not where local gringo's go and Los de Guanatos is always packed with "locals" - plus it might be nice for the more adventurous gringo to sit at an authentic "Mexican" bull ring and enjoy a few drinks while watching the locals and eating Guadalajaran style tortas - which the lady also seems interested in.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Get the ones with "chipotles" chilis.

Served in a shallow "soup" you sop up as you eat them, the fresh bread they come with is fabulous.

(Don't know whether to believe the waiter, but he claimed the bread is flown in from Guadalajara....) Know anything about that, Matkirk?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yup, and so are lots of the other places we've all listed.

I draw the line at places with rotten lighting, no atmosphere and uncomfortable chairs...if they want my business they can, um, decorate...just a little.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    (I just knew my standards must be low! Now, I seem to recall the outdoor "dining" to consist of folding table and chairs, set up in the parking lot. But, low prices for both food and drink, cheerful and efficient service, and a little bit different and delicious fare keep us coming back, along with scores of Mexican young people. Still have yet to try those tasty margaritas T.J. spoke of....)

6. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Las Guanatos has by far the best Margaritas we have had, anywhere...frozen or on the rocks, both are slammin'. I agree, the drown tortas are a really nice change. Decent outside area to talk with friends.

La Playitas across the street from Guanatos has really great fish tacos.

Cheesters has the most awesome salad and pastas, HUGE portions!

Bronto Burger on Nichupte and Picos Burgers both have excellent burgers.

La Taberna hot wings and 2x1 drinks.

California Pizza Kitchen for their Cobb Salad and super delish "the works" pizza.

Papa Bills Cantina on Coba...hot wings and Micheladas are the best.

I think I have talked myself into going to Las Guanatos tonight! Thanks RG!

7. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guanatos is also on La Luna across from Soriana and also at Playa Tortugas in the HZ. My bf's brother is a Manager....I love the Liters of grosella micheladas...ooooh my!!!!

8. StorageLady

StorageLady Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha! I consider myself forewarned. But considering that my folks were Peace Corps people and we lived in Yap and in Malaysia - I think I'm ok with a "dive"! I'm guessing that my almost 3 years in Cairo also probably helped with my tolerance for less than formal dining spots.

Good to know what to expect though!

But - even though I know to expect a dive....are the ice cubes & water safe to drink at all of these places?

And...what is a grosella michelada?

Also - the guanatos in the HZ - is the food the same as downtown?

9. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    grosella michelada.....they have flavored beer. It's not microbrewed. It's Sol Beer served in a large cup, and they have a list of flavors they add. Grosella is a fruit.

And the food is the same at all locations. Had lunch today at the Playa del Carmen one. You will not be disapointed!!!

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I like ice in all my cold drinks, including beer, and have never gotten ill from it- not in Mexico or anywhere else I've lived. Most restaurants buy their ice from ice houses which produce a reasonably pure product (quality can be lost in the handling, of course).

If you're served water in a glass, most restaurants will be using bottled water, such as we use in our homes, here. (Generally, only the poorest people drink water from the tap, and you are unlikely to be served any such thing at a restaurant.)

I was ill more often from things I picked up in restaurants while living in the U.S. than I have been since; but, for the unlucky, it can happen anywhere.

While here, enjoy yourself: you'll probably be fine, if you don't eat too many chilis, or drink too much tequila!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice