"Tipping" the police

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Dave & Audrey, Feb 10, 2010.

1. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    When you consider that the Traffic Police...make the equivalent of about $65.00 American/week.....can you blame them..??? Anyone who is stopped by these guys and pays a bribe......is just subsidizing the city government....No more & no less...!!

Even a mesero makes more than the Traffic Police each week.......

2. v8eyedoc

v8eyedoc Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    By TJ - "A great suggestion as I always did this when traveling here as a tourist, is to simply peel off the AVIS or whatever stickers from the front and rear bumpers and that way you don't stick out like a sore thumb."

TJ.....Even when you peel off any stickers on the bumpers or rear windows that indicates that you are driving a rental car..... The license plate itself..is different from the local plates.... I have looked at many vehicles and ALL privately owned vehicles say "PRIVADO" on the plate....whereas the rental cars...read.."TOURISTA

Am I wrong on this observation..???

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I find your comment wrong on several levels. I responded to your similar comment in another thread here.

That sort of attitude towards abuse of authority is exactly what has allowed corruption to become so deeply entrenched in Mexico IMHO.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Corruption is easy to understand, and hard to stop, because people will, in many cases, think paying to get a favorable decision from a representative of government- after a calculation of personal advantage in terms of time, convenience, or money saved- is the thing to do.

But, paying bribes distorts the system, at all levels- 1) actual enforcement of traffic laws, which are written to make our streets safer, ceases; 2) pressure, which would otherwise exist to raise wages, is removed; 3) and a level of professionalism and pride, which might otherwise come with doing a proper job of law enforcement, lost.

Cease paying bribes- laying aside all rationalizations for doing it- and you break the cycle.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty sure they've gotten a raise since you heard that number. Last I knew the cops in Cancun were making about $800 USD a month. Still not enough to live a middle class lifestyle, but enough to eat on.

Any time you give people power but don't give them enough money to live decently you are going to see corruption. And then when the culture teaches its young people what proper bribe amounts for traffic violations are before they teach them how to drive then you know you have a recipe for corruption.

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I feel the argument regarding wages is an excuse for , not a cause of, corruption.

Once the culture of corruption is in place it doesn't matter how decent the wage is...

I know plenty of people here who live happily on ~5000 or less pesos a month who I am confident do not shoplift, rob, or otherwise take from others. I also know people in positions of authority in both public and private sectors, who live lavishly, far beyond what I would consider living decently and WELL beyond what they should legitimately be able to afford.

Why settle for a BMW when you can get a Bentley?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Life - I agree completely. If the wage is reasonable it's not a reason for corruption. The corruption is in the culture, not in the job.

I've seen that some people here chose jobs in the public sector specifically so that they can get tips on the side or join in the racket. That's pretty disheartening to see.

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Life wrote:
    So true, Life, greed has no boundary, no point at which the greedy will say, "I have enough."

Even when all the comforts of life are provided for the greedy they will want more, and be willing to take more, from others- to impress their friends; to provide a bounty to the immediate and the extended family in the form of expensive educations, and gifts of homes and cars; to be able to play favorite uncle and big shot on every occasion.

There is simply no limit to how much money they may want: paying a decent wage does not suddenly make the greedy stop being so, nor stop those who've learned it's easier to hit people up for money, than do their real jobs, from taking the easy path.

On the other hand, pay government workers a good salary, and prosecute those who are caught taking bribes, and you will instill caution in all but the most callous, reckless, ruthless, or cunning of the "old guard", while allowing young people to enter the field for reasons other than Rivergirl has suggested, to the benefit of all.

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Private vehicle = green lower band on plate
    Leased or rented vehicle = red lower band on plate

10. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Maybe a little green tape should be packed.......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice