Navigating Immigration, Cancun

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 23, 2009.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey V,
    It's all straightened out after months of back and forth. My FM2 is in hand, thanks for asking.

For those who might not know, if you want to change jobs while on a visa, you must ask permission from INM. You must first show an official document stating that you have left the previous company, then basically start the app process all over again with the new company. Technically you are not allowed to work while this is happening. So you leave your old job then wait for INM to allow you to work, ahem. In my case, the process took almost three months. This time around they asked me for documents that I have never been asked for before, education records from high school and university, apostilled (or in the case of Canada which does not have apostilles, legalized and authenticated). The legalization and authentication process cost me about $500 CAD (three pages of documents).

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Glad this had a happy ending, C.C. Now we can see why the process took so long, this time around, even though the new employer may have been doing everything right!

C.C. mentioned how costly it was to get up all the required documents, in her case. Perhaps the simplest application for an FM3 you can have is for the V. Rentista. Even that one can end up costing 2,500 pesos in official fees and required, official document translations.

For permission to work, the cost will vary, depending on the type of job and how many supporting documents are required. In official fees, apostilles, certificates and translations my visa application, seeking permission to work, cost me about 5,500 pesos: much of this expense is a one-time expense, though, such as getting up apostilled school records which, once you have them, can be used again. The cost of renewal of my visa will be just half the cost of the original.

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Navigating Airport Immigration

How to navigate airport immigration when leaving early, as related by other posters to this forum, collected here. The comments are primarily, if not exclusively, from the posts of Rivergirl and T.J.

My wife has followed these instructions, successfully, when she had an early flight to catch. Please feel free to offer any corrections you see necessary to bring the information up to date. V.

In Terminal 2, the old terminal, the Alfa office (exit office) opens at 7 am, in theory. The main INM office is in that terminal, meaning the people working the nightshift are there. So in T2 if you need to get something from INM prior to 7 am you have to go to the main INM office, which the airline will help you find (maybe, if they are in the mood, etc).

In Terminal 3 that Alfa office (exit office) is supposed to open at 5 am. This means agents working the nightshift come from T2 to T3 at 5 am. Sometimes they come late (meaning they oversleep, or are busy checking in a flight). But, in theory, that office opens at 5 am, in reality 5:30 is more realistic.

INM is located in a cave at Terminal 3. Walk from the ticket counters towards the escalators that go up, but instead of going up go right down a hall. Then take another right and INM will be on the right in a pathetic tiny windowless office with no air.

Now, there is a shift change, in both terminals at 7 am. The agents in T3 have to go to T2 to sign out. So they leave the T3 Alfa office at 6:45 am or so in order to get back to T2 so they can leave on time (remember they make no money so you can't blame them for wanting to leave on time after working a nightshift).

The next shift comes on at 7 am, but they have to stop in T2 to sign in and get orientation for the day. So they don't make it to the Alfa office in T2 or in T3 until 7:15 or 7:30. There is a gap of at least half an hour in T3 most days. And in T2 Alfa opens at 7:15 in reality, not at 7 as it should.

Advance prep suggestions:

If it is convenient you can go there before your flight and ask for some FMEs and it is no big deal. When you come into Mexico from the US or Canada you can also get them from the flight attendants when they hand out the FMTs and Customs forms. THESE FORMS HAVE RED PRINTING. Do not use the FMEs with black printing.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I returned to the States on the 15Th, I found that INM had moved to "Counter Space" on the outside wall west of the restaurant 'Berry Hill'.

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ditto, it was there a couple of days ago, so I guess it's permanent (or as permanent as things get down here).

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is true...INM's Salida office (aka Alfa) in T3 is now opposite of the airline check-in area, sorta near the bathroom.

Hours for Alfa in T3 are roughly 5:30 am to 7:30 pm with variation depending on staffing and number of scheduled flights.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nice to have the updates on the location of Immigration in T3. Here's one other perspective on the new location, from CancunGringa.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Change of Address

Immigration Law in Mexico specifies that you report any change of address to INM within 30 days. As I understand it, some people don't bother with this, finding it too much trouble (or erroneously believing they will have to pay a fee associated with the process), but they risk a fine, if discovered.

I recently moved, and went through the process, myself. In some respects it is like applying for an FM3, originally. You will fill out the same form you did to apply for an FM3 but check the box "other", and request a change of address. You will supply copies of every page of your passport and FM2/3, and formal proof of your new address, in the same manner as you did when you got your FM2/3, but there is no fee associated with the change of address.

As I often do, when dealing with these bureaucracies, I suggest going at a time when the rush is over- in this case, late in the morning- so as to avoid a line. If there are, nevertheless, others waiting, you will ask for a number, and wait your turn to submit your documents. They will keep the copies you've provided, and your FM2/3.

You return one week later to claim your document, new address notated in it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    A decent photo

Can I make one practical suggestion?

For your FM2/3, take the time to get a decent photo made of yourself.

I think everybody is mainly interested, at that stage, of just getting the process over with, but a little time spent here will make you feel just a little better about yourself, every time you're asked to present your document!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have always had my fotos taken at Fotos Guillermo on Uxmal, almost across from the bus station.

Prompt and good service. If I am not mistaken they have a slightly higher price if you want to wait for you pictures.

If you tell them what document you are using the fotos for, they will give you the correct size and quantity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice