Cancun Beach Recovery-Dec. 29, 2009

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Proper roads, parks, and DRAINAGE.. are you people insane?? How would everyone line their pockets each year "fixing" things if they did a proper job the first time?

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, they've suspended the project due to lack of payment. If they don't pay and they take away the equipment, the project will not be finished!

Here's the story (from Noticaribe with Google translation)

3. webero

webero Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    According to one of the radio stations, Greg has just today to get the money but his legal team is on vacation so who knows what is going to happen.
    They mentioned that Greg Sanchez said that he did not have any information until yesterday. Federal authorities said that they sent the papers 6 months ago.

Should we make a vaquita to get the almost 24 million US to get the beach done?

Sad, very sad.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,254 / 14
    The oft used phrase:
    'couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery' comes to mind.

btw thanks for posting the pics Mixz, I ought to get out and see it myself before it all washes away.

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The stupidity never ceases to amaze me.... never mind that the hotels and city would rather sit around arguing over who should foot the bill for YEARS while they're losing 100 times the cost in tourism and business, and then when its finally starting, now they act like nobody knows anything about where the money is supposed to be coming from. An I'll bet when its all said and done.. it will wash away just as quickly as before because nobody knows what the hell they're doing!

... and wouldn't it be better to just use the 20 something million dollars to buy you're own damn boat and have city employees do the work to maintain things???

6. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In our town here in the States, when this type of payment can't be made it's blamed on those who owe back taxes......

Before I left on 12/15, I went and paid our Cancun 2010 property taxes to get the 20% discount which BTW, in pesos, was just about the same literal number amount as our US town taxes for 2009.

In Cancun the taxes seem to cover most of the same things as in the States except: in the States, we pay an extra amount for private WEEKLY only trash pick up, we don't have public sewage or water, we have our own systems and of course a biggie: the town is supposed to plow and keep the road clear/passable...... Right now, our street could be used as a training stretch for speed ice skaters............ with more precipitation on the way.

No place is perfect. Frost heaves that never seem to contract Vs potholes which BTW form in those places where the plow scooped up the frost heave and left not only a pothole but a crater and since so much salt had to be used there's no money left for cold tar patches or resurfacing repairs, LOL, but IMO, Cancun in all months but deep summer beats the hell out of "here in NH" and I can't wait to get back "there" to Cancun.

Wishing All of You a New Year with Happiness, Health, Wealth and Great Sex. You are a Wonderful Group. My thanks to All for some great help and so much helpful information.

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing to do with corruption at all but probably bad planning. Work will stop tomorrow--New Year's Day. In Cancun

Each municipality has to put up money to get the work done and then will get that money back when they collect the tax for the Federal government for the beach concession each year.

The local government didn't havae that money budgeted so it had asked for a loan from Banobras Bank for the needed $230 million pesos with the guarantee of paying it back with taxes collected BUT the bank wanted more guarantees than that-- --in fact 50% of all Federal monies given to the municipality as an additional guarantee. They thought that excessive and are reviewing other options. Supposedly the final loan is to be signed on January 6 so the local Cancun government can put up its part.

Greg says they started the loan process on Dec. 4 and it wasn't until Dec. 28 that they asked for another signature guaranteeing the additional funds. So he is not happy that the ball is his court either and assumes it is a plot. Sectur is pressuring a lot and says if they stop now they won't be able to come back and finish later!! "La Sectur destacó que, una vez retirada la maquinaria y las dragas, así como el equipo auxiliar '..la obra quedará suspendida definitivamente y ya no será posible reiniciarla en una etapa posterior'."
    The soap opera continues!

In the meantime, Cancun's loss is Playa's gain. I just got an email notifying me that work will begin Jan. 2 in Playa!

Jan 2: they will start laying pipe (!) at Hotel Porto Real in Playa (hmmm--ok--seems new and Porto Real has the same problem that the resorts of the same name had in Cancun--an artificial breakwater!)

Jan. 8: Start pumping sand

Jan 15: move the tubing to the south end of the project around Sandos Playacar

Jan. 19: Start pumping that area from south to north

Feb. 29: Finish the work

Hotels included in the project are requested to remove any obstructions.

By that time, Cancun should have its loan and work will finish there.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2009
  8. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW thats not good news. Does anyone know if they got to Kilometer 11 near the Flamingo hotel?? Thats where we are staying at the end of Feb.

9. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    According to this list, http://tinyurl.com/yh69c7m, the Flamingo's beach is complete.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,254 / 14
    How far south (in the Cancun HZ) is it planned for the restoration to go? Wondering whether it will go as far as Great Parnassus which is by the Hilton, not far from Delfines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice